Thursday, December 2, 2010

My 'Could Have Been' Portfolio



Here is a look at what my portfolio could have been this year. This is a listing of stocks that I bought, when I bought them if I had held them until now. These buy points are from my portfolio with the actual dates, shares and prices that I invested in during 2010. Now I know that this does not really matter, but it is an interesting exercise to see where I could be if I had just held onto my winners this year.

I like this exercise because it tells me that I made some good pick, at great buy points but I didn't have the patience or discipline to hold onto them for the long haul. Dose this mean that there is a problem with my fundamental strategy, not necessarily. Does this mean that I should reconsider where I place my stop losses, probably. I think it is important to evaluate your investing strategy on a monthly basis, to see if you are making the smartest moves that you can. Although I missed out on some big gains this year by selling too early, that does not mean that I was a bad investor. It just shows me that I need to loosen the reigns on my stops and lets the winners go a little longer. Now I can adjust my strategy and move forward with confidence that I can pick good buy points.

It is also interesting to look at the chart for these 5 stocks. This is the kind of chart that all investors dream about.

No comments:

Post a Comment