Friday, November 12, 2010

My Story

My investing story begins shortly after I was out of high school. My father gave me a financial CD set called Automatic Millionaire by David Bach. I was enticed with stories of people investing small amounts of money each month in a 401k or IRA, and over a 30 year period becoming millionaires. Later this became reinforced by another CD set called Americas Finest Companies by Bill Staton. This set taught investing strategies in the stock market and about compounding interest. According to Bill the stock market had averaged 13% a year since 1900 and if you invested in blue chip companies you would become a millionaire. His example was invest $20 a month starting at the age of 16 and by 65 you would have one million dollars. Over that 49 year period you invested $11,760 but with compounding interest you have over $1,000,000. My question is why would you not want to learn how to invest? I started using his strategy in 2005, like everyone in 2008 I lost half my invested money. Discouraged with my investments I decided I needed to learn more. Again my father points me in the direction of a book. The title of the book is How to Make Money in Stocks by William J. O’neil. This book teaches how to read charts and what to look for in companies. William J. O’neil is the founder of Investor’s Business Daily and has made profits in good times and bad. I have been using his strategy for half a year now and have been successful. In this blog I will show my portfolio and track and my progress. I will also give a stock of the week and track the performance of those companies.

Good luck to everyone with their investments and I hope my advice comes in handy.

Tim Meyer



1 comment:

  1. Investing only 11,760 to gain 1,000,000 . . . those are good odds. I agree that reading about investing and learning from experts in the field is the best way to approach becoming an informed and successful trader.

    ReplyDelete